Never Going to Leave?

Go down

Never Going to Leave?

Post by Dew on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Fitzwilliam sat on the ground in front of his 'home.' He played with the pages on a book in his lap, flipping through them over and over. Periodically he held the book to his nose and then would sniff it. The smell of books was amazing. The new ones and the old ones. There was the occasional book that had a bad smell. But this one was old, and had a good smell.

Closing the book, Fitz turned his head to hear the noise of footfalls in front of him. Blinking once, he turned his head again. Feeling the solid cover of the book, Fitz got up and headed in the direction of the library. He loved his home. It had always been his home, and he was never going to leave. Plus, he had been living there his entire life. He knew nothing of what was out there, he had decided long ago never to leave. When his parents left, he was glad that he was alone, although there were a few annoying friends that clung to him. They all insisted on helping him. He didn't need help. He was smart, even if he couldn't read. They just had to 'show' him in a different way. And it worked.

Walking towards the library, Fitz fingered the pages of the book and turned it over in his hands. The result of this was him dropping it. While leaning down to pick it up, he bumped into someone. Grunting a somewhat apology, he searched for the book on the ground. Where was that darned thing?

Dew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Never Going to Leave?

Post by Kip on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Ellen stared at her worn hands, sitting on the floor. Still staring she realized something, she wanted to learn more. With a grunt of approval from Anita, her older friend, she set out to somewhere she could read, without interruptions. As she set out, she flipped a twisted piece of small metal in her hand, that she thought as a lucky charm. As the streets were crowded, she slipped the metal into her pocket and continued on her way.

Soon, Ellie came upon the library. She slipped her hand back inside of her pocket, feeling nothing. She stopped in her tracks and looked around her. Knowing it wasn't near, she turned around, retracing her steps back towards where she came from. As she saw a glint of metal out of the corner of her eye, Ellie raced over, slowing down as she neared. She hunched over to pick it up, ending up having a head-on-head collision with someone else. She quickly retracted, the metal in one hand and the other hand on the top of her head.

Sensing the man's trouble to pick up the book, she said, "here. I can help you with that." And crouched down to pick up the book. "Here you are." She said, handing him the book. She spun on her heels and headed towards the library once more.
Kip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dew on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:21 am

Rubbing his head and ignoring the person to find his book, Fitz brushed his hand on the ground. Darn this, why did this always happen? He had to stop his habit of playing with what was in his hands. It always ended up with him dropping the object and then he would run into someone because he didn't know where he was going.

When the person helped him by picking up his book, he grunted something of a thanks. Of course he didn't mean to say thank you. He was just frustrated that someone thought he needed help. Which he didn't. He was perfectly fine finding a book even if he couldn't see it.

"I had it." He muttered grumpily. However, he knew the person probably didn't hear him, for he heard a sliding noise as she turned on her heels and headed in the direction he was pretty sure was the library. Standing back up to his full five feet and nine inches, he walked with careful steps and a fast pace towards the library so he could give the book back. Listening carefully to make sure he didn't run into anyone, he seemed to keep good pace with the girl he'd run into. Not that he was trying.

Dew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kip on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:09 am

As Ellie left, she felt a spark of hope in her. She ignored it until she got to the library. She stood there, staring at the marvelous building that was her second home. She hopped, and practically ran into the building. She swung the door open and pranced toward a pile of books. She spotted one that she had read millions of times, called, Metal Mechanics, and picked up another book she hadn't read, called, The Surface. Taking these two books, she edged away from the stares people were giving her. What? You've never seen a 16 year old girl read a book? She asked in her head.

She opened the first book, and stared at the familiar words that always inspired her. Sitting in the corner, she felt a pair of eyes trained on her. Ellie blushed, and continued reading her book. She had gone past 2 pages, but wasn't paying any attention to the words. Bored, she picked up her other book. She stared at the cover for who knows how long, and felt her eyes slipping into darkness. Having not slept last night, I bet. She blinked, and opened the book. She flipped through the pages, enjoying the smell of the old, worn book. She focused on the pictures of the first page, seeing drawings and sketches of trees, grass, flowers, clouds, and much more in the margins of the page. With great intensity, she forgot about the man and read the pages and looked at the pictures.
Kip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dew on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:00 pm

The beats of her feet and the sound of the door told Fitz that this little lady was indeed excited to be at the library. Which was a good thing. Sort of. Right? The library was practically his house. He preferred being there than anywhere else. Grabbing the door before it completely shut behind her, Fitz entered in behind her and wandered towards the desk to ask the librarian a question.

Before doing this, he turned his head towards the direction of the girls footsteps as he heard her eagerly run towards the spot where he knew a large stack of books stood. He heard her fingers brush the cover, not being able to see heightened his sense of hearing a little, and she picked up two.

Ignoring this girl for a while longer, he wandered off to the librarian's desk, feeling in front of him as to not run into it.

"Fitz!" The happy lady behind the desk exclaimed, watching him come over to her. "May I help you today young man?" She asked, leaning on her elbows over the desk.

"Yes, ma'am." He said with a grin. "Got any more of those fairy tales? You know, the ones in braille?" He asked, waiting as he heard the sweep of her hand and assumed she was holding up some kind of sign for one second. He waited as she headed off and then stood straight when she returned, grabbing his arm and putting the book gently in his hands.

"Guess." She said, he knew she had an excited grin on her face, and Fitz felt the dots on the cover.

"Once Upon a Marigold?" He asked curiously, and he heard the librarian chuckle. "Thank you, ma'am." He said, raising the book slightly in a wave. He walked off, dodging the sound of feet, bumping someone occasionally, apologizing when necessary, the seventeen year old boy headed towards his favorite reading spot, trying to avoid running into people when he could, but accidentally tripped over a small body sitting on the floor in his corner.

"Excuse me." He muttered, standing back up and feeling for his book. Why had this happened twice in one day?

Dew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kip on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:38 am

Ellie stared intently at the book, her eyes feeling engraved into the pages. As she felt a light kick, and falling over, she steadied herself and looked up. "Hello, again." She said, feeling anxious. Seeing that he had lost the book again, she picked it up, stood up and handed it to him. She laughed shyly, looking at him.

"Well, my name is Ellen. Call me Ellie. If you need me, I'll be here." She sat down once more in that small corner of hers. She blushed, hiding it with her book. She now had read page 10 maybe a million times for the skilled sketches and detailed writing. Smiling, she pulled a small notepad and pen out of her pocket, both she always kept with her. She opened it up, and looked at the page of the book. She found a small, creature in the top of the page. A bird, as the book described it. The creature was small, but she thought about what it looked like close up in her head. She starting drawing it, ending a couple minutes later.

Setting the notepad next to her, she picked up the book, flipped the page and continued reading.
Kip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dew on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:18 am

It was her again? What luck. He'd run into the same exact girl from earlier. Yes, he recognized voices. It was the only way he could remember people, by their voice. Grunting indifference he grabbed the book from her.

"Fitz." He muttered. He disliked being called Fitzwilliam, so he avoided telling people that name. Hearing the brushing of her sitting back down, he grunted and opened his book, turning and sitting at the other side of the corner. It wouldn't bug him to sit somewhere else. Not at all. It hardly made a difference. He couldn't tell he was sitting somewhere else. Nope. No problem. He shifted on the ground and turned to look behind him, though there was no point, and he turned back. Hearing the sound of pen on paper, he shifted uncomfortably. Not only because of the change in place, because he hated it when people drew or talked about beautiful pictures and scenes. He was blind, he couldn't see them!

Finally giving up, he turned around, attempted to poke her shoulder but instead got in the lower back area, coughed in case the poke didn't get her attention. "I'm sorry, but I normally sit there when I read." He commented, hoping that would make her leave. He could really tell the difference, and the side of the corner he was on was uncomfortable.

Dew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kip on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 am

Ellie turned around as she felt a poke on her back. Hearing what he said, she responded, "you normally sit here? Well, okay." She picked up her books and stood up. "Nice to meet you, Fitz." And she turned away, starting to walk towards the shelves. She stopped, looking at her new place. "This is good." She muttered, sitting down again. Leaning against the edge of the shelf, she stared at Fitz, who was clearly a good 20 feet away. Realizing she had been staring, she opened her book once more.
Kip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dew on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:50 am

Fitz blinked in surprise as Ellie gladly moved away. Normally people would turn to him and then leave. Well, as far as he could tell. They probably made some confused face at him when he did this and then left. It wasn't something he knew for a fact.

Scooting over to his regular spot, he opened the book and felt the pages, reading the beginning of the book. But he couldn't shake the feeling of someone watching him, and he turned his head in the direction of where he'd heard Ellie sit down, but he didn't know it someone was looking at him. Sitting there, hand on the page, he couldn't help but find a kind of interest in this girl.

"Excuse me." He said, knowing that the distance between them couldn't be too large. "What book are you reading?" He asked, wondering if this would spark a conversation.

Dew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kip on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:54 am

Ellie lifted her head. What book am I reading? She asked herself. Oh, yes! "The Surface." She gladly answered. "And what book are you reading?" She asked Fitz. She slapped her hand over her mouth, realizing her mistake. "I'm sorry." She muttered through her hand. "I didn't mean to..." Ellie looked away.
Kip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dew on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:00 am

Fitz nodded, thinking that he might have read that one at one point. He had read so many books, he sometimes had trouble remembering. But he thought the name sounded familiar.

When Ellie got shocked at her own comment, Fritz moved his brows into a furrowed look, confused at her reaction. What did she mean? Did she think she would offend him by saying reading?

"Hehe, don't worry." He muttered, shaking his head. Deciding to move closer, he got up and sat down in front of her. "I can't think of what else to call it, so I say reading too." He said, holding his book up to show her the braille cover. "Can you guess? Or do you want me to tell you?" He asked, wondering if she'd read enough books to get to one on how to read braille. It was possible.

Dew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kip on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:11 am

As Fitz neared, shock grew in her chest. She peered at the book he held, sensing its familiar ways. She remembered the librarian handing her many books like that one, and her reading them. But she hadn't read any of these, Fairy Tales. She had read all mechanics.

Longing to hear him speak again, Ellie whispered, "what is it?"
Kip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dew on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Fitz, on the occasion, felt sad he couldn't see reactions or the looks on peoples faces when something interesting happened. He'd heard stories of the happiest looks and the beautiful faces. To him, it was myth, the beautiful things and the ugly things. He wasn't one to judge or know them, so he tried to ignore the fact, and based his life solely on sound.

He laughed, he knew she couldn't read braille. It was just something that was complicated for people who could do real words, and it was complicated enough for him to learn when he had to.

"It's called 'Once Upon a Marigold." He responded, feeling the cover and reading it again. "It's one of those fairy tales. The ones with the happy ending, hopefully." He had read ones where the ending wasn't so happy and he'd heard ones that were quite scary. But he knew a load of them were rewritten to be more fairy tale-like.

Dew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kip on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Ellie looked at the book. It fascinated her. "When you're done, can I read it?" She asked Fitz. She continued to stare at the book, every inch of the cover, the edge of the pages.
Kip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dew on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Fitz chuckled at Ellie's comment about reading it. It was entirely in braille so he could read it, so she might not be able to read it.

"If you want to try and read braille, than sure. But you should probably try and read the words with your eyes." He commented, smiling at this. How silly.

Dew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kip on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:13 pm

"I don't know, I just thought..." Ellie cut herself off. She stared at the pile of books. "Excuse me." She stood up and walked to the pile of books. She placed the two books she had read back, and grabbed another one.

She returned to where she had been sitting and opened up this new book. She wondered what it was about, not having read the title first.
Kip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dew on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:21 am

Fitz got confused. He hated it when people walked off like that. He knew that they left, because they often said so and he could hear them leave, but when he was in the middle of a conversation with them and they just decided to leave, he got confused and frustrated slightly. He knew that there was the possibility that they had seen something they needed to fix or needed to do, but he didn't know that because he couldn't see them.

So, while Ellie went off to do whatever the heck she'd decided was so important, Fitzwilliam sat there and read his book. He loved reading the fairy tales. They were entertaining and fun. Nothing like his life in the Metro stations. It was nice to know that these were at one point possibly true and that people had true happiness.

When she returned, he looked up from his book to where he'd heard her sit down at. "What was that about?" He asked, not knowing she'd grabbed a new book.

Dew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kip on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 am

"Huh? Oh, I grabbed another book. "Apparently, it's called," Ellie checked it. "Adventures in the Wild? A fairy tale, I think." She looked at Fitz, wishing he could see as well. He would be able to see the metro, and he would be able to see the books, read the books, and he would be able to see her.
Kip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dew on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Fitz nodded as Ellie told him where she'd gone. Well, at least she knew that she couldn't just do that. Or she didn't, but no one ever remembered that he was blind in moments when they get up to leave.

"Sounds wonderful." He said with a smile. Adventures in the Wild sounded kind of like a fairytale title. Normally fairytales did include a little bit of romance, but the sound of the name made it seem like it was the kind that didn't. Fitz turned towards his book and opened it and began to read.

Dew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kip on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 pm

Ellie picked up where she had left off, this book about traveling through the surface, and time, apparently. She checked her watch, a gift from her mother. She didn't exactly know how to use it, only that Anita told her when the small hand struck the 6 and the long hand struck the 12, she had to leave the library. She stood up and brushed off her skirt. "I have to leave, but nice meeting you!" She said to Fitz, setting her book back in the pile and starting towards the door.
Kip

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down